J: "Anything to eat for breakfast?"
J: "... cereal?"
J: "Hey, we have bagels?"
L: "I'll toast it for you."
J leaves for work with toasted stale bagel tucked inside his tummy.
L: "Gosh, I'm really hungry. What can I whip up?"
L: "Mmmm, this is delicious! Wonder how J's doing with that stale bagel in his tummy? [Giggles to self] Maybe I should make him this for breakfast tomorrow..."
Proceeds to devour breakfast burger.
Moral of the story: Always take a gander in the fridge & pantry - and take a moment to think creatively - before deciding there is nothing to eat at home... =P
For this impromptu breakfast, I simply gathered items I already had laying around (mostly leftovers). Instead of burger buns, substitute any other kind of bread: sandwich bread, sliced French bread, stale bagel, English muffin, etc.. Make the same kind of substitutions for the deli meat & cheese - anything will do! However, I do highly recommend using the avocado coated in a squeeze of lime juice. It freshens up the dish while also adding a creamy richness without the extra fat.
Open Faced Breakfast "Burger"
1 burger bun, split & toasted
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or regular white vinegar)
few slices deli meat, your choice (I used turkey)
1/4 of an avocado, sliced into about 4 wedges, tossed with a squeeze of lime juice
squeeze of lime juice
2 slices deli cheese, your choice (I used Swiss)
grated Parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
Poach the eggs:
- In small saucepan, bring about 2 inches of water & 1 tbsp vinegar to a boil. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into 2 separate small bowls, careful not to break the yolks.
- Once water comes to a boil, turn off the heat. Gently slip the eggs into the water & cover with a lid. Set timer for 4 minutes. If you don't like your eggs runny, set timer for 4 1/2 - 5 minutes for a well done yolk.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the eggs once they are done.
Put together the "burger":
- Toast bun halves in a regular ol' toaster to desired toastiness.
- Top toasted bun halves with deli meat, avocado, cheese and poached egg on top. Sprinkle salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese on top of the eggs while still steamy.
- Eat with ketchup or any other kind of condiment - or eat plain.
- Proceed to devour your breakfast!