Pages

September 24, 2009

A Simple Breakfast


I've never been much of a breakfast person. Well, actually, I should say that I've never been much of an "American breakfast" person. I could never figure out how people could eat 2 eggs, sausages, bacon, hash browns & pancakes all at 7 o'clock in the morning! That much food and grease that early just makes me feel sick. And, yes, I'm aware that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, supposedly. But does that necessarily translate into having to eat an entire farm?

My preferred breakfast of choice is a simple latte. But I also realize milk and caffeine don't make a very substantial meal. I'll usually throw in something light, like cereal or yogurt & granola. Today, it was a thick slice of toasted mango bread smeared with nutella. Yum. Anything would taste great with nutella smeared on top. Obviously I also prefer a sweet breakfast over a savory one.

So imagine my pleasant surprise when, during my trip to France last May, I learned that the entire country eats this kind of breakfast too! No, I don't mean mango bread & nutella. Their petit dejeuner usually consists of coffee/tea/chocolate milk and a roll/left over baguette topped with salted butter or a fruit jam. And that's it. You would be hard pressed to find anything more than that for breakfast. And that was fine with me.

Today I'm enjoying my petit dejeuner while I compose a handwritten letter to my friend Cecilia. (Hi Ceci!). There are few things more enjoyable than this...

Have a great breakfast & a great day!




p.s. friends, if you would like to start receiving letters from me, please leave your mailing address below or shoot me an email :) pen pals are fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment